Powered by Blogger.
5/Kayak Fishing/slider

Offshore Trip to Port Aransas, TX 4/22/2014

No comments
Awhile back, I decided to get out of the marsh and make an offshore trip. The planning for this trip began months prior, which is partly what made this trip so interesting. When I began planning, the weather was still bouncing between cold and hot, not to mention the winds were holding strong. As time passed, the cold weather gave way to the warm, however the winds remained. Just a few days prior to my departure, I received an update from Glenn Madden (aka Prof. Salt) that the day after I would arrive, 4/22/2014, the weather and winds would be almost ideal for an offshore trip. However, I was also informed that the king fish were still nowhere to be found. Just when I thought things weren't going to get any better, just a day before my trip I heard rumors that the king fish may have begun to arrive.

So, I arrived to Port Aransas on 4/21/2014 and made contact with Glenn. For those of you who have had the chance to see Prof. Salt’s many YouTube videos, know he is a wealth of information and is extremely helpful. He advised me of the things I needed and even offered to allow me to use, from his stock, anything I was lacking. After making the final plans with Glenn, I headed to a local bait shop and picked up some frozen ribbon fish and then headed back to get some sleep for our trip.

On 4/22/2014, Glenn picked me up at about 6:15am and after my yak was loaded we headed to the beach. At the beach, we met up with several others who were also heading out that day. Once everything was situated, we launched at about 7:15am.

As I was heading out, the thoughts of whether or not the king fish would be found were still going through my head. However, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the ocean. I captured this nice shot of one of our fellow yakers when we were paddling out.

Once we got close to the first rig (approx 2 miles out), I rigged a ribbon fish and began trolling. It was not long after, I was hooked up on what would be my first king! He made a short run but then quickly gave in. He came so willingly that at one point I was not even sure he was still on. I don’t even think people around me realized I had hooked up until I pulled in this 42” king.

Now I was faced with what proved to be my biggest problem and biggest lesson I learned that day – always bring an offshore fish bag. I brought a smaller fish bag due to the reports that only smaller species were being caught. However, I was able to improvise and get the first king stored away.

After getting situated, I began trolling another ribbon fish. Again it was not long after, my drag began to scream. This time it did not stop! Still to this day I can hear it in my head. Wow, it was a heart thumping sound. This king was not coming easily. About the time I would think he had worn down, he would make another run. I estimate he probably ran about 100 yards off my reel. Finally, he wore out enough that I began the long haul in. During this time, he made several shorter runs which kept me on my toes. Once I got him closer to the kayak, he still showed he was not going to make this easy. He made multiple runs under and around me. Eventually, he succumbed to my gaff and I was able to land this 48”+ king.

I was able to again improvise and get him in my fish bag (well sort of). It was only 9:30am and I had caught my limit of kings! I gave my remaining ribbon fish to a couple of fellow yakers that had not brought any and were struggling. I figured I would be able to help them out, although I was limiting my fishing by doing so.

I then decided to change tactics and look for some red snapper. I began to jig around the rigs but the snapper weren't having it. In fact, Glenn was the only one to hook up on one that day. I attempted to troll an artificial to get back into some action but was only able to get two hook ups. One hit was so hard it almost knocked my rod from its holder and it snapped my line (probably because of a rookie mistake).

At around 11:30am, I began to head back to shore. This was mainly due to my lack of having the proper fish bag (lesson learned). I wanted to make sure I got my kings home and eventually in the freezer. In the end, it was a great trip! I am extremely thankful to Glenn (Prof. Salt) for all of his help. I am very appreciative for everything he did and for making this trip become a reality. He went above and beyond, something that kayak anglers are known for. I met several other great guys on the water that day as well. To sum it up, I had a great trip and I have decided it won’t be my last to Port Aransas, TX!
author profile image

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

No comments

Post a Comment

Shane has been kayak fishing since 2009 and is passionate about it. Inshore saltwater kayak fishing is his addiction of choice, however, he enjoys the occasional offshore and freshwater trip as well. He mainly fishes the inshore lakes, bayous, and marshes of Southwest Louisiana but does venture into other territories. Shane is a member of the Hobie Fishing Team and holds Pro Staff positions with YakAngler, Lucid Fishing, and Ship To Shore Co. He was also the founding president of the Lake Charles Kayak Fishing Club. "My simple goal for this blog is to promote kayak fishing as it is something I love. I will post articles, reviews, videos, photos, and basically all things kayak fishing." ~Shane [Shane Coleman] (